CO-designing the Assessment of Climate CHange costs
COACCH is a project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme and carried out by a consortium of 14 European organisations. The project will develop an innovative science-practice and integrated approach to co-design and co-deliver an improved downscaled assessment of the risks and costs of climate change in Europe, working with end users from research, business, investment, and policy making communities throughout the project.
The final objective of COACCH is to produce an improved downscaled assessment of the risks and costs of climate change in Europe that can be of direct usability and respond to the different needs of end users from the research, business, investment, and the policy making community.This overall objective is substantiated into five specific goals:
- To develop technically excellent and innovative research on complex climate change impact chains, using downscaled climate information and advancing integrated assessment methods and models developed under early RTD research calls.
- To develop a challenge-driven and solutions orientated research and innovation approach, involving stakeholders in the co-design, coproduction and co-dissemination of policy driven research.
- To significantly advance the knowledge and the evidence base not only on climate tipping elements and tipping points but also on socio-economic tipping points.
- To advance the economic valuation of climate action (mitigation and adaptation) in the EU at various scales (spatial grids, regions, countries, economic sectors) over short to longer-term timeframes to support a more informed policy process in the achievement of intended nationally determined contributions (INDCs) for the EU.
- To enhance innovation capacity and integration of this new knowledge using co-dissemination of results with business, industrial, public decision makers and research communities, maximising the use of innovative approaches in communication for dissemination, including direct elicitation of end-user needs to shape knowledge outreach and uptake.
Besides high-level scientific publications, COACCH’s results will include:
- Climate Change Impacts & Policy Simulator;
- Climate Change Impacts & Policy Database;
- Policy briefs;
- Synthesis report on climate impacts and policy assessment for Europe;
- Best-Practice for co-designed research.