IPCC WGIII eLAM4 Outreach Event: Climate change and our future. Driving the transition
Before the release of the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report cycle (AR6), an eagerly awaited report of the last six years and in the most important year for renewing climate ambition, a public event will be held on April 28, 2021, 3-5 pm Europe time. The event will discuss how to drive the future of the climate transition, in a dialogue between science, institutions, novel writing and the young generations.
Working Group III (WG III) of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the RFF-CMCC European Institute on Economics and the Environment (EIEE) are organizing an interactive online event during the WG III fourth Lead Author Meeting.
This virtual event is open to the public.
It will provide members of the public with the opportunity to engage with scientific experts, young leaders and artists, and government representatives in the midst of an official IPCC meeting on the topic of climate change.
PART 1: ‘Science and Policy: strategies, solutions, opportunities’ – Moderated by Jim Skea (IPCC WGIII co-chair).
- Welcome and Introduction, Carlo Carraro (IPCC WGIII vice-chair and EIEE executive council chair)
- Welcome address from Enrico Giovannini, Minister of Sustainable Infrastructures and Mobility, Italy
- Address from the Ministry of Ecological Transition, Italy (t.b.c.)
- Panel Discussion: Valentina Bosetti (IPCC author and EIEE scientist), Clara de la Torre (European Commission DG CLIMA: Deputy Director General), Antonio Navarra (President of CMCC and IPCC focal point), Richard Newell (CEO and President of Resources for the Future)
PART 2: ‘Ambition: the climate, the future, and the young generations’ – Moderated by Elena Verdolini (IPCC author and EIEE scientist)
- Designing pathways of change, Massimo Tavoni (IPCC author and EIEE director)
- Narrating the future, Kim Stanley Robinson (Science fiction writer and author: Ministry for the Future)
- Views of the Youth: Jan Kairel Guillermo (Jan Kairel Guillermo (Lead, Global Affairs Unit, COY, YOUNGO) and Lodovica Cattani (Country Coordinator Italy for COY16)
Open Q&A (The Guests will be able to submit their own questions to the panel/speakers)
This event will be held in English with real-time Italian interpretation.