Assessing Climate Change Risk in EUrope
ACCREU is a project funded by HORIZON Europe RIA (Research and Innovation Action) investigating, in a fully integrated framework, climate change impacts, mitigation, adaptation and prospects for a sustainable social and economic development in the EU. ACCREU will identify challenges, highlight opportunities and deliver practical solutions to policy making and societal actors at the EU, EU Member State, region and community level to accelerate a just societal transformation towards climate resilience in the short, medium and long term.
ACCREU is structured in 6 WP:
- Synthesis and outreach
ACCREU has the following specific objectives:
- Co-deliver a comprehensive, integrated, updated and co-designed assessment of climate risks across sectors, countries, sub-national regions under different climate and socio-economic scenarios while considering distributional consequences across households and business types, fiscal and financial implications;
- Improve qualitative and quantitative methods for the assessment of costs, benefits, effectiveness, limits and feasibility of adaptation against different impact types and scales;
- Co-create ready to implement Adaptation Decision procedures and strategies together with public and private actors to address decision-makers at multiple levels of governance;
- Fully integrate mitigation, adaptation and residual climate damages into the decision- making space;
- Enable the effective uptake of the resulting risk and policy assessments of the developed procedures and actual strategies into management and investment decisions of public and private actors.
ACCREU expected results are the following:
- Improved qualitative and quantitative methods for the assessment of and insights on costs, benefits, effectiveness, limits and feasibility of adaptation against different impact types and scales.
- Comprehensive, integrated, updated and co-designed assessment of climate risks across sectors, countries, regions under different climate and socio-economic scenarios made available public database and repositories of scientific publications;
- Better understanding of the role of climate change impacts on health, ecosystem, biodiversity, fiscal and financial stability; Fully integrated analysis of mitigation, adaptation and residual climate damages to identify policy actions able to deliver a fair,
sustainable and climate resilient societal transformation;
- Accessible adaptation decision procedures and strategies at multiple level of governance;
- Effective uptake of climate risk and policy assessment and adaptation decision procedures and strategies.
01 June 2023
30 November 2026